Monday, October 5, 2009

Relating to Characters of "The Glass Menagerie"

If you were one of the characters in “The Glass Menagerie,” which one would you be? I would probably be Tom because I can relate to him. He has so much responsibility in taking care of the family because his father left. I can relate not because my father has left my family, but because I do have a lot of responsibility in taking care of my family (or at least did when I lived at home). I have so much responsibility because I have twelve siblings. Only two of them are older than me, so that leaves me with ten younger siblings, four of which have some sort of physical handicap. I am the oldest girl in the family, and when I was a teenager living at home, my two older brothers had moved into their own places and gotten married and had their own kids. This left me the oldest child living at home with a dad who works all day, and a mother who’s doing her best to keep up with all the kids’ activities and sports practices and games. Of course, I had to help her out. I did a lot of the running kids to practices and games, and I helped out with feeding the kids and things like that. I can understand just how frustrated Tom must have been, and how he is always searching for some sort of escape. He wants to be a little bit rebellious, and I can relate.

Words: 248

No comments:

Post a Comment