Monday, October 12, 2009

Reaction to "A Streetcar Named Desire"

I went to see the play “A Streetcar Named Desire” this weekend. It really left me with a sad, depressed feeling. The thing about the play that really made me think hard about the human behavior was the way Blanche was affected by her past experiences. After the tragic death of her husband happened, she was left yearning for some kind of meaning and belonging in the world, and she looked for it in relationships and sex. Stella also tried to find her security in her relationship with her husband, Stanley. Although Stella’s problems with Stanley did not leave her all messed up mentally like Blanche was, both of the girls were not fulfilled with happiness. This really made me think about just life in general and the way that people try to find security. People can all put on faces and think that they are all put together like Blanche did when she came, but most have something deeper within or a past experience that they try to hide from that usually comes out after time. It is very sad for me to see this play because, as a Christian, I find my identity and my security in my relationship with God. When something bad happens in my life, I know that God will never let me go. I also know that if I sin or have guilt about something, Christ takes it all away, and I can feel whole again and live with great joy. Blanche, however, feels guilt for the death of her husband, and it leads her on a path of destruction, and eventually drives her insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment