Monday, October 12, 2009

Child Adoption

I am currently in the process of fine tuning my informative speech for my oral communication. My speech is on child adoption from Guatemala. It has really had me thinking a lot and hard about the situation in Guatemala and how sad it is. There are so many orphans that are now just sitting in the orphanages of Guatemala with no hope of finding a family because corruption in the adoption system has caused the Guatemalan government to stop adoption all together. There is no saying if or when adoption will start up again, but it is truly a sad situation. Because I have five adopted siblings from Guatemala, I have been to an orphanage there, and I absolutely love it there with the kids. It is really a very beautiful country, especially where this particular orphanage is, and I would love and have pondered going and taking over the orphanage there because the current people who run the orphanage are getting old and want to retire. It is also perfect because Spanish is my major, but so far I have chosen to stay in school and get my degree first. It just breaks my heart to think about all of those kids without a family, and it really makes me appreciate all of the loved ones I have in my life.

1 comment:

  1. As the mother of an adopted child, and friends of many many people who've adopted, some from Guatemala, I appreciate your passion.

    ReplyDelete