Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What is a Hero?

When I think of a hero, I think of someone who puts the good of others ahead of himself or herself. I also think it is a person who has a positive influence on others. A hero may go out of his or her way to help someone else succeed or flourish in a positive way. He or she is always doing the deed for the prosperity of others and not for the individual spotlight. A hero does not flaunt his or her power or good deed; rather, he or she simply goes on with his or her life as if nothing had ever happened. In order for someone to be a hero, his or her intentions must be for the benefit of others, not for the hero’s benefit and fame. Police officers and fire fighters who do their job to get pats on their backs and get medals and awards are not heroes in my book. I believe a hero is always humble. A hero can receive an honor or award, but it is never a hero’s intention to do the deed simply for the fame. I believe intention is a key factor in determining if someone is considered a hero or not.
The dictionary definition of a hero is someone who has a distinguishing amount of courage, and he or she is admired by other for his brave deeds and noble qualities. Another definition of a hero is someone who, in the opinion of others, has done a heroic deed or has heroic qualities and is a model for others. I think this definition is important because it says that a hero is someone who is seen that way by others, not by himself. A hero cannot be a hero simply because he or she thinks that he or she has done a heroic thing. Other people have to say he or she is a hero. I would say that my definition is different than the dictionary definition because my definition adds in an element of humility on the part of the hero along with making it clear that the hero’s intentions are not for self-acknowledgment. I believe a hero needs to be humble and always does things for the betterment of others, not for individual pride and joy in the feat he or she has accomplished.
I would not consider Sammy to be a hero in “A & P.” Sammy’s intentions were not to stand up to his boss to say that his boss was wrong in discriminating against the girls. If these were his intentions, and he did not flaunt his deed, then I believe he could be considered a hero. His intentions, however, were to get the girls’ attention and bring all the glory to himself for quitting and going against his boss’s policy. He wanted to look like a hero to these girls. I believe, however, that a hero does not go about trying to look like a hero. A hero does the good deed out of good morals and only for the benefit of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment