Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Falling Slowly

I was listening to the song “Falling Slowly” by The Frames today. I just love to listen to songs like that song. It is sung with so much passion, and the words are so great. I do not like to read, but I love listening to the words in songs like “Falling Slowly.” Really, the song is just a poem, but it is in the tone that the singer uses that brings the emotion about. In the song, he talks about his love and want for this girl that he does not even really know. This song is from the movie called Once. I have not seen the movie, so I do not know the context that the song is in; however, from my interpretation of the song, it sounds like he suffers some kind of heartbreak. Maybe his lover died or left him. He sings words like “falling” and “take this sinking boat and point it home.” At the very end he says, “I paid the cost to play. Now you’re gone.” I can just feel the emotion coming from the words he sings, and it just brings me back to a place where I have experienced heartache of some sort. I would say that songs are stories or poems of some sort, but they make me think a lot deeper and harder on the words than a poem or story with no music.

No comments:

Post a Comment